Ever heard of this expression? It’s used in so many ways. Let’s talk about it in terms of leadership and communication.
Is it waffling on, or do we like hearing our own voice, do we struggle to get to the point, do we even know what the point is, are we feeling awkward and gap filling, do we think we know it all….?
Oh there are so many reasons for talking too much.
Stop it. Less is more. Much more.
And this is coming with love from someone who talks a lot 😉
So… ways to be more succinct in conversation or even in writing;
– Check the pronouns – using too much I or me?
– Going around in circles – get to the point. What is the point? Jot down bullet dot points and use those. If people want/need more detail they’ll ask for it, or let them know they can ask.
– Use a system; why/what/how/now – might be a useful basic starting framework
– Ask questions and allow others to come up with the answers, by asking WHAT or HOW questions?
– Listen, ask another question and ask again.
– Use the line…mmm – interesting and then zip it again!
– Stop over-explaining. Have confidence that your message is understood. You don’t need to repeat yourself with different words.
– Stop using justification, blame or defending the status quo too
– Eliminate phrases that don’t mean anything, like, “As I said before…” and “I just wanted to tell you…” and, of course, eliminate filler words.
– Practice and record yourself for a minute each day for a week. Then edit. Practice conveying your concise message into voice memos.
– Again get to the point. Take the minute details out of your message.
Trust helpful. Keep is short and sweet.
P.S Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways I can help you develop and work on your business leadership capabilities:
- Download a free copy of The Leadership Maximiser Tool, a detailed Productivity and Performance Experience
Lead with clarity and confidence. Minimise overwhelm and indecision. Be organised and focused to lead a flourishing team and grow a thriving business. Accelerate results for you, the team and business with this step-by-step tool. — Click here
- Join the Empowering Leaders in Business Facebook group and connect with like-minded leaders focused on high-performance team success
It’s our Facebook community where smart leaders get to learn more about creativity, leadership and performance. — Click Here
- Join our next Mental Fitness for Leaders Program
Helping leaders develop their skills for well-being, relationship and conflict management, productivity and peak performance in the workplace. If you’d like to work with me on your business leadership skills to ensure high engagement, accountability and results for and across the team…message PQ to me here and I’ll get you all the details.
- Let’s get the whole team together
Would you like a different perspective and someone else at the front of the room or on zoom/teams to lead regular and consistent team building, accountability and engaging learning experiences, that drive results and outcomes for individuals, teams and the business? If you feel a little challenged with everything going on, maybe sounding like a cracked recorded saying things over and over again, or actually not 100% how to motivate and inspire the team, given the current nature of business, it’s may be useful for us to chat. Message TEAM to me here… and tell me a little about the business, your team and what you’d like to work on together.