When it comes to teaching and training staff, we love the LEARN DO TEACH model.
As tourism business leaders, we’ve learnt a LOT.
And we’re great DOer’s.
Where I frequently see the gap is the ability to TEACH.
Not because we can’t teach….. It lies in our lack of system and process to teach ie. Jess had been doing so much operationally herself, and continued because she hadn’t taken the time to:
- Outline the goal for ‘other’s doing the job/task/activity
- Map out the steps of the process
- Video /record the job/task/activity being done
- Create the template/s and any written descriptions, checklists etc
- Call the meeting or schedule the training session to teach others how to do it
- Implement the follow-up system to check-in and re-teach if necessary / oversea.
- Monitor progress and give regular constructive feedback to performance develop
If you think about so much that is on your plate right now… Where could you do a little TEACH to help staff in the business be better at their jobs, roles, tasks and activities?
P.S Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways I can help you develop and work on your business leadership capabilities:
- Grab a free copy of Smash Indecision and Overwhelm, 4 Steps for Better Business Leadership E-book
It’s the road map to overcoming doubt and indecision, how to deal with “overwhelm” to improve your business leadership capabilities. —Click Here
- Join the Tourism Business Leader’s Facebook group and connect with like-minded leaders focused on building highly effective teams
It’s our Facebook community where smart leaders get to learn more about creativity, leadership and performance for tourism business success. —Click Here
- Join our Tourism Pro-Team Program
Helping tourism business leaders develop their skills to improve engagement, accountability and performance of the team. If you’d like to work with me so you can stop being reactive, have the difficult conversations and drive performance to get the results you want and know the business need then…message PRO to me here and I’ll get you all the details.
- Let’s get the Whole Team Together
Would you like a different perspective and someone else at the front of the room or on zoom/teams to lead regular and consistent team building, accountability, and engaging learning experiences, that drive results and outcomes for individuals, teams, and the business? If you feel a little challenged with everything going on, maybe sounding like a cracked recorded saying things repeatedly, or actually not 100% how to motivate and inspire the team, given the current nature of business, it may be useful for us to chat. Message TEAM to me here… and tell me a little about the business, your team, and what you’d like to work on together.